Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Christmas Tradition



I love Christmas. Yes I like the presents. I love the family. I love the food. I love going to my parents church, lighting candles and singing Christmas hymns. I love going to the Pilkey’s (family friends) on Christmas eve and thinking how it just seemed like yesterday that I was sitting in that same basement eating red Jello salad. Together all these things make up the Christmas tradition that I have come to know and I love it.

More recently, however, I have come to celebrate a new tradition. Whenever Christmas is approaching I start early with the Christmas music (Not the Santa kind but the Jesus kind. Handel’s Messiah is a favorite). I pick up a Jesus book (This year it’s Putting Jesus in His Place by Bowman and Komoszewski). I read through a gospel; and then I thank God for the Incarnation. I like this tradition and I highly recommend it!

“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,and they shall call his name Immanuel” (Matt. 1.23).
Written by Nick Mitchell © 2008 The King and His Kingdom Blog

No comments: